Saturday, June 20, 2009

20/21 June 2009 slight waft

ads play on VBC
the crusts of sleep still hide in the corners of my eyes.
I've been blearily awake probably for an hour...

A dream
a dream

a snippet
walking to a bus stop
along a flat part of
no, sloping
non-steep sloping
of Pembroke road
(or the same)
(the other side of the valley rugged hills)
a bus pulls up
and I think I am not going to make it to the bus stop in time
(due to my real world bad leg)
but it pulls up behind me
(before me, by some way, is the bus stop I was headed to)
and I realize - it is stopping at the new bus stop
a brand new one
new design
it has a electronic sign - red dot matrix telling the world that the #3 bus is here*
sweet
I get on
ready to pay my $5 for a daytripper.
NO DRIVER
in fact
no front windows.
no way to pay for a ticket.
Everyone else I figure must use snapper cards
The bus moves off - it is automatic
I take a seat
slightly uneasy

the other passengers
(I don't recall them in any detail - but I know there were some)
seem fine.
there are no figures of authority
I have slight qualms over not paying - but
I don't care - this is the future I didn't want
what happened to all the bus drivers?
what do they do now?

the grey painted metallic front of the bus
has the driver's wheel
(possibly a fail safe - manual override)
ON THE WRONG SIDE
just by the doorway
but blocked off by a grey metallic slab
It
isn't clear
whether you really could squeeze inbetween the slab and the wheel in order to drive this thing.

Inside the bus the whole area is much more open space
(to carrying more standing passengers possibly?
this thought is logic from the daylight
I don't think I thought about the why
in the dream)
I think the windows are pretty boarded up with metal too
This is how you'd be transported to your doom
(shades of the trains to concentration camps here
no humans - just a blind faith this computer controlled bus will take us where we think it will

we're sliding across Willis / Mercer / Victoria / Wakefield streets
nearly in town
nearly whereever I am headed
And I am thinking
how does this work?
are computers really this sophisticated?
but I'm recalling
something about how robots are good at following fixed routes
getting along a series of straight lines from A to B isn't too hard a computing task...
but still the picking up folk
the interacting with other traffic
and pedestrians...

the dream fades?
or is it a dreamjump?

the next section I am far more hazy on

I am getting off ?

I am at?

there is a grand train-like station
huge pillars lifting up into a tall roof
(which I do no observe)
and these go on - as far as the eye an see?
certainly to a murky mid-distance

I'm alighting from the bus here???
is this a daylight embellishment??
it certainly feels like I did
the vague feeling I have is in the dream
is it?

I am here and all the ex-bus drivers are here in uniforms
dark dark blue with small small dark red epaulets
or no, badge
of some kind
part of the uniform

the ex-bus drivers are talking,
plotting,
planning,
or was it
sorting,
organizing
a lecture - a course?
are they now acting as the enforcers / ticket inspectors?
or are they fermenting a rebellion / strike to regain their job
I am not sure
I cannot remember...

it gets
vaguer
much vaguer

we're in the star wars (phantom menace) universe
standing on the deck of a space ship

looking out across a star wars space battle
meteors and coloured laser bolts
zipping space craft
all in the distance...

all vague
less than half remembered

then
I WAKE.



Notes from the other side:
*= the number 3 bus doesn't go on this route - but it does go into town.

No comments:

Post a Comment